Geethali Norah Jones Shankar, professionally known as Norah Jones, is a pianist, singer, and songwriter from the United States. Her music has garnered numerous accolades and she has sold over 50 million records globally as of 2023. Jones was recognized as the foremost jazz artist of the 2000s decade by Billboard and has won nine Grammy Awards. Additionally, she was ranked 60th on Billboard’s list of top artists of the 2000s decade.
Norah Jones is a popular American singer, songwriter, and pianist who has captured the hearts of millions of fans around the world with her soulful voice and evocative lyrics. But while many people may be familiar with her music, they may not know much about her background or family history.
Know About Norah Jones’ Family And Background
Norah Jones was born on March 30, 1979, in Manhattan, New York City, with the birth name Geethali Norah Jones Shankar. Her mother, Sue Jones, was an American concert producer, while her father, Ravi Shankar, was an Indian Bengali musician. Following her parents’ separation in 1986, Jones grew up in Grapevine, Texas, with her mother.
As a child, she developed her singing skills in church and received formal training in piano and voice. Jones attended several schools, including Colleyville Middle School, Grapevine High School, and Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts in Dallas. During her high school years, Jones sang in the choir, played the alto saxophone, and even participated in the school band. She changed her name to Norah Jones at the age of 16, with the permission of both of her parents, and removed the Indian elements from her name.
Norah Jones Height
Fans of celebrities often show curiosity about their physical attributes, such as height and weight, and this is also the case with Norah Jones. Her height is estimated to be approximately 155 cm (5’1″), while her weight is reportedly around 53 kg (117 lbs). Such details may be intriguing to fans who wish to gain a better understanding of Norah Jones’s physical appearance.
Norah Jones Has Received Various Awards
Norah Jones has received numerous awards and recognition in her career. Besides winning multiple Grammy Awards, she has also earned nominations for various other honors, including the Academy Award for Best Original Song for “Everybody Needs a Best Friend” from the movie “Ted.” Furthermore, her record sales have surpassed 50 million units globally.
- 2003: Best New Artist
- 2003: Album of the Year (“Come Away with Me”)
- 2003: Best Female Pop Vocal Performance (“Don’t Know Why”)
- 2003: Best Pop Vocal Album (“Come Away with Me”)
- 2005: Best Female Pop Vocal Performance (“Sunrise”)
- 2005: Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals (“Here We Go Again” with Ray Charles)
- 2008: Best Country Collaboration with Vocals (“Lost Highway” with Willie Nelson)
- 2010: Best Surround Sound Album (“The Fall” – surround mix engineers)
- 2003: Brit Award for International Female Solo Artist
- 2003: Echo Award for Best International Newcomer
- 2003: MOJO Award for Best Album (“Come Away with Me”)
- 2003: World Music Award for World’s Best New Female Artist
- 2003: American Music Award for Favorite New Adult Contemporary Artist
- 2004: Q Award for Best Album (“Feels Like Home”)
- 2010: ASCAP Foundation Champion Award